Joomla is an award-winning content management system (CMS), which enables you to build Web sites and powerful online applications.
- It is a website software.
- Content can be simple text, photos, music, video, documents, or just about anything
- It is written in the PHP programming language and uses the MySQL database system to store information.
- Its few features include page caching, printable versions of pages, news flashes, blogs, polls, and website searching
Characteristics of Joomla can b listed as follows:-
It allows modular extensions and integrations to be made easily. Few extensions are defined as follows:-
- PLUGINS:- They are background extensions which extend the functionality of Joomla. Ex.:- WikiBot which allows the author to use “Wikitags” in Joomla article which will automatically create dynamic hyperlinks to Wikipedia articles when displayed.
- COMPONENTS:- They allow webmasters to perform tasks such as build a community by expanding the user features, backup a website, translate content and create URLs that are more friendly to search engines.
- MODULES:- It performs tasks such as displaying calender or allowing custom code to be inserted with base Joomla code.
Joomla is used all over the world to power Web sites of all shapes and sizes. For example:
- Corporate Web sites or portals
- Corporate intranets and extranets
- Online magazines, newspapers, and publications
- E-commerce and online reservations
- Government applications
- Small business Web sites
- Non-profit and organizational Web sites
- Community-based portals
- School and church Web sites
- Personal or family homepages