Magento is an Open Source e-commerce web application launched on March 31, 2008.
- It was created on the building components of the Zend Framework, which is an open source object oriented web application framework and is implemented in PHP-5.
- Magento's Enterprise Edition is a paid for version of magento which aims at larger companies and was launched on April 15, 2009.
Features of Magento are listed as follows:-
- Control multiple websites and stores from one Administration panel with ability to share as much and as little information as needed.
- Multi-lingual and support multiple currencies.Search engine friendly and automatically generates Site Map to be displayed on site.
- Search engine friendly and automatically generates Site Map to be displayed on site.
- Flexible pricing rules with ability to restrict to stores,customer groups, time periods, products and categories.
- Saved Credit Card method for off line payments and accepts cheques/money orders.
- Create one or multiple invoices, shipments and credit memos per order to allow for split fulfillment.
Few limitations of Magento are:-
- Highly fragmented system.
- Only one news letter per store can b sent to the customers. This can be revived by adding up few extensions.