Os commerce is an e commerce and an online store mangement software.
- It can be used on any web server which has PHP & My SQL installed on it.
- It provides a basic set of functionality that meets the common needs of an online business. Besides meeting common needs it can be customized to meet the specific needs of any business.
Key features of os commerce can be listed as follows:
- Compatible with PHP-4, My SQL also portable with version 5 and with all major browsers also.
- Automatic set up of ecommece payment systems like Authorize.com, PayPal.com, PsiGate.com, SECPay.com, TrustCommerce.com, etc.
- Unlimited Categories of products and categories.
- Multilingual: English, German & Spanish by default.
- Automatic web based installation.
- Supports dynamic images i.e. One image for one product. Also supports physicall product as well as product downloads.
- Multi currency support via manual update from exchange rate server.
- Web based administration module.
- Temporary & permanent shopping carts.
- Database backup & recovery.
- Secure transactions with secure socket layer support.
- Many Shipping options including by weight, price and destination.
- Real time shipping quote integration with United Parcel Services and United States Postal services.
- Zone based shipping options as well as a free shipping option as a part of Order Totals Module.
- Full tax functionality included compounded taxes, differnt zones for differnt products.
Few limitations of osCommerce are listed below:-
- UPS is no longer a standard shipping module but can be added.
- The manual Credit Card payment is not PCI Compliant and should be used for testing only.
- Downloadable products are not fully secure but can be secured.
- Image thumbnails are in fact full size images reduced for display which impacts bandwidth.
- The lack of a plug-in system makes add-ons difficult, since each add-on modifies the core application.
- If an order qualifies for free shipping then no other option is available, so a shop cannot offer free regular shipping on orders over a certain value and a separate premium on express shipping.
- Bugs in the logic checking shipping methods allow customers to bypass the free shipping restrictions on sites that allow free shipping because they fill their cart in excess of the free shipping limit, proceeding on the past checkout shipping method selection page, and then remove items from their cart).